Saturday, January 28, 2006

Introduction to the "Domain Scripting Project"


For lack of a better title I have chosen "The Domain Scripting Project". I am a Network Administrator. Any of you who share this position are aware of the large amount of redundant work we do while creating commercial networks. From joining everyone to the domain to guaranteeing service availability we waste hours of time.
Consider this: a standard commercial setup with 30 computers, 2 servers, a point-to-point VPN solution, a client to VPN solution and 3 commercial grade copier/printers. Normally we manually do the work on each client. That means spending 7 minutes per computer joining them to the domain. A menial task which entails 8 screens, 2 reboots and several client side settings. Most of us can do this in our sleep, however at 210 total minutes this sucks up more than a quarter of a standard workday.
I believe that a majority of this can be scripted or assigned via Group Policy. I have compiled a list of twelve scripts which I believe once created and integrated will gain administrators like myself significant time. So, without further ado its time to get into the scripting.
Please comment on anything you see or think. All scripts and GP's will be available, as I hope that anyone reading this will post any ideas, comments or criticisms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home