Sunday, January 29, 2006

Setting My Documents Location

I am aware that this setting can be set via group policy. However myself and a coworker responded to a server down at a large sized client once. The errors on the server required an immediate reload. Upon restoring the AD to the temporary server which we placed in the stead of the downed server we found that these settings were somehow locked and could not be changed from the client. While this may be a one-in-a-million situation, group policy still has a huge number of 'moving parts'. A script to set the my docs should help alleviate any future problems. This should be a quick script as I believe it is simply one registry key. I have created a file on my C drive named 'slappy' as this is unlikely to appear anywhere else in the registry. I am going to set the my docs location to this file and then search the registry for the word 'slappy'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home